Quilling is the art of paper rolling I happened to come across while browsing some pins over Pinterest. Since that day I have come to adore and appreciate this art form in a big big way. Mind you, this art form requires patience to take the shape of the final product you wish to make, but the final product is always worth it.
Through this post I wish to share with you a beautiful ballerina wall hanging that I made for my home.
- For the quilled ballerina you would need a basic quilling kit, which includes a quilling pin, quilling strips and glue. There are other advanced quilling kits, but this DIY project requires just the basic kit.
- For the wall hanging, all you need is a cardboard, a chart paper or handmade paper, a base for the wall hanging (in my case, I used a beautiful cane mat to make the wall hanging). So lets get started.
Steps to make the quilling ballerina wall hanging:
- Take a cardboard and cut it to a piece measuring approximately 6” X 8”.
- Cut an 8” X 10” piece of chart paper or handmade paper to cover the cardboard base. I would suggest using a stiff paper like a handmade paper to give a sturdy base to paste the quills. Also, use lighter shades of handmade paper as lighter shades will bring out the colours used for making the quilled ballerina.
- Make fine slits at the corners of the paper so as to allow the edges of the paper to be turned and pasted on the reverse of the cardboard. Finesse in pasting the paper will make the background of the artwork look neat and professionally done.
- Now we start making the quills. In case you are a beginner the following YouTube video by AV Visuals link will help you make the basic quills easily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wULr0mYYr8c
- Take the picture provided for reference to make the quills step by step and arrange them neatly on the cardboard.
- Once, the shape, size and placement look perfect; take a small portion of glue to paste all the quills to make the ballerina come to its final shape.
- Stick this cardboard of the cane mat being used as the base for wall hanging. Alternately, you could use another cardboard and make a hole at the top and insert a thick golden/colourful thread to make the wall hanging.
- Keep the wall hanging aside for the glue to dry. Let it dry overnight if possible.
- The Beautiful ballerina wall hanging using quilling is ready.
P.S.: You can also make a card or a table showpiece instead of a wall hanging.
I came across this ballerina just as a Pin on Pinterest, loved it and instantly decided to make it. However, there were no instructions on how make this. Therefore, I decided to make it easier for my followers by providing these steps to make this wall hanging.
Hope you like this. Please share your views on this.
Happy Quilling! 🙂
Sources: Pinterest and YouTube